Having a caption on the video you are watching can sometimes help you understand better what the characters on screen are saying. Facebook now offers auto-generated captions, so you see subtitles on your Facebook videos each time you watch them. Facebook automatically turns on captions on videos if you see the CC icon on top of the video.
However, it does not seem like a good idea for some users. If you do not like the auto-captions displayed on your Facebook videos and get annoyed by them, you have the option to disable the feature. You can turn off subtitles and auto-generated closed captions on your Facebook videos via desktop or iOS devices. Facebook app on Android devices does not have auto video captions feature.
Note that disabling the auto-captions on Facebook applies per device and Facebook page. That means you have to manually turn off the auto-generated captions or subtitles on each device as well as on every page that you follow.
How to Disable Auto-Generated Captions on Videos you Watch on Facebook
You can turn off subtitles on all the Facebook videos you stream or only on specific videos. Facebook also allows you to switch off auto-captions on Live videos. Let’s see how to do these processes one by one.
Turning Off Video Auto-Captions on Facebook via iPhone or iPad Device
- Launch the iOS Settings menu of your iPhone or iPad.
- Go to General.
- Select Accessibility.
- Choose Subtitles & Captioning.
- Go to Closed Captions + SDH and toggle the button to Off.
Disabling Auto-Generated Captions on Facebook via Desktop Computer
- Launch any web browser on your computer and go to Facebook.com.
- Login to your account.
- Click your profile.
- Select Settings & Privacy.
- Choose Settings.
- Click Videos.
- Go to the Always Show Captions section.
- Toggle the button to Off.
How to Turn Off Auto Video Captions on All Facebook Videos
- Go to the Facebook Page where you want to turn off video captions.
- Head over to the Settings menu.
- Navigate to the General tab.
- Select Auto-Generated Captions.
- Choose Don’t auto-generate captions for uploaded videos.
- Click Save Changes.
How to Disable Subtitles on Individual Facebook Videos
To disable auto-captions on each Facebook video, you need to access the Creator Studio.
- Launch the Creator Studio.
- Select Upload Video.
- Click Single Video.
- Choose the video that you want to edit.
- Select Captions and subtitles.
- Click Auto-Generate Captions.
- Toggle the button to Off.
Turn Off Captions on Live Videos on Facebook
Note that you need to have access to the Facebook live producer if you want to disable captions on live videos.
- Go to the Live Producer section of your Facebook account.
- Click Share to a page you manage.
- Choose the page you want to edit.
- Now, check if you are on the Stream Setup.
- Go to the Settings menu.
- Select Viewing.
- Look for Auto-generated and toggle the button to Off or gray.
Why do you want to disable auto-generated captions on Facebook videos? We value your opinion! You can tell us more in the comment section below.