VRR or Variable Refresh Rate is one of the first and most important things that avid gamers check when shopping for a new gaming TV. Whether you prefer a Sony Bravia or Samsung TV, the VRR capability of your chosen unit can make or break your gaming experience.
If you are a big fan of games loaded with movements and detailed graphics, or you love the thrill of high-speed games, enabling and using the VRR setting of your smart TV is a step you shouldn’t miss doing. However, it is important to remember that not all TV brands offer sets with VRR capability. The good news is that both Samsung and Sony to support this feature.
While it has been established that Sony and Samsung TVs have VRR settings, it won’t hurt to double check just to be sure. The most obvious sign is if your unit comes with an HDMI 2.1 port. But although VRR is a part of the HDMI 2.1 technology, the specifications of your model must still mention VRR.
After identifying and confirming the VRR specifications of your Samsung or Sony Bravia TV, you can now proceed to enabling the setting.
How to Use & Enable Variable Refresh Rate (VRR) on Sony Bravia Smart TV Settings
If your Sony Bravia smart TV features an HDMI 2.1 port, you simply have to turn on or enable its HDMI Enhanced format.
- To do this, get the remote control and press on the Home button.
- This will display the specs of your Bravia TV.
- Choose the Settings option.
- Under the TV category, choose External Inputs followed by HDMI Signal.
- Enable the VRR feature by choosing the option for Enhanced Format (VRR).
Take note that as far as Sony displays are concerned, the VRR option is only available to the HDMI 4 and 3 in the settings. To experience the full benefits, see to it that your Sony PS5 console is connected to any of these.
Using & Turning On VRR or Variable Refresh Rate Feature on Samsung Smart TVs
- Press the Home button on the remote control of your TV to go to Settings.
- Look for the Quick Settings tab.
- Now, choose Game Mode.
If the Game Mode is not yet activated, you can choose to set it to On or Auto. The On option is the manual way of enabling Game Mode, while Auto means that your Samsung TV will have the Game Mode activated automatically every time a game system is detected.
Your Samsung TV should automatically enable the VRR setting as well. However, if you wish to play it safe to check that you have already enabled the VRR setting, you can also do so.
- Simply hold the Play/Pause button on your TV’s remote control and wait for the menu to appear.
- The menu should show you all of your unit’s stats, which include its VRR status.
The VRR setting on your Sony or Samsung TV is the secret for the ultimate gaming experience. Follow the steps above and start enjoying your favorite games to the fullest!