Owning a Sony smart TV has to be one of the top choices for any tech enthusiast. They’ve been heavily promoted for years, and many reviewers have given them praise online.
In person, the Sony smart TVs actually look as good as they are marketed to be. With all these positives, it almost feels like nothing can go wrong. Unfortunately, they can. Or rather, they have.
The Sony smart TV market is pretty much inconvenienced by a popular black screen error. If you don’t know what it is, well it’s basically when your TV doesn’t show a picture, but the sound still keeps playing in the background.
Ways to Fix Sony Smart TV Black Screen of Death Error
This no picture on screen issue can be connected to certain configurations, hardware problems or an inconsistent update. Regardless of what it is, we’ll show you how it can be fixed in this guide.
Restart your Sony Smart TV
It sounds like a no-brainer, but this is one of the first things you should consider.
- Hold the power button on your remote for up to 10 seconds, or turn off the TV from the wall switch.
- Turn on the TV again and wait for it to restart.
- If the issue is gone, you’ll be able to play videos on your screen without any issues.
Try Using a Different HDMI Port or Cable
Your HDMI port is an essential part of the TV setup, especially when you want to enjoy content from a wider library. If you’re facing this issue, it might mean that your cable is damaged. The best way to check this is by changing it and seeing if the issue persists.
On the other hand, you can always do the following.
- Use your remote and navigate to Input.
- Go to Input settings.
- Select a new HDMI port as input, plug in your cable and see if the black screen issue persists. If so, then your port might be damaged.
Plug your Sony Smart TV to a New Power Outlet
This may require you to use an extension. Still, unplugging your TV and connecting it to a new outlet can allow you to determine whether or not the problem is from the TV itself, or if the outlet is damaged. If your outlet is damaged, you’ll need to send in an electrician to fix it as soon as possible.
Disable Power Saving Mode on your Sony Smart TV
When you’re using a Smart TV, power saving mode may unknowingly be enabled, making your TV draw less power from the outlet. This can affect the display negatively when you’re viewing certain media.
- Go to the Home button and press it.
- Navigate to the TV Settings page and select Timers.
- Choose the Sleep Timer and disable the feature.
- Return to your Smart TV Settings menu and select power/energy saving mode.
- Turn it off.
Using a Sony Smart TV is definitely not going to be a walk in the park. If you ever experience this unfortunate issue, you can find solace in the fact that this guide can make things much more bearable.