The Apple AirPlay mirroring feature is a convenient one that allows you to stream and share content from an Apple device with compatible smart TV or streamer like Roku devices. You can gain access to all sorts of streaming content including music, movies, and TV shows. We’ve created this guide for anyone looking to enjoy AirPlay casting from iPhone to Roku.
How to set up & enable the Apple AirPlay mirroring tool on Roku TV or streaming devices
Setting up and streaming content through Apple AirPlay on your Roku requires you to have a Roku model that supports the current AirPlay version. You can easily gain access to the models that support it online or through this guide. In general though, there has to be Roku OS 9.4 or higher running. There are some models that require 10.0 and higher versions installed.
You’ll also need to own an Apple device with support for AirPlay. This includes iPhones and iPads running iOS 12.3 and higher. Meanwhile, Mac computers running MacOS Mojave 10.14.5 or later should be fine.
How to use AirPlay tool from an iPhone or iPad to your Roku player or smart TV
First, find the piece of media content you wish to stream on your TV through Roku. This includes a song, video, podcast, or photo. Next, you’ll need to follow the steps below for each specific app. We’ve included guides for some popular ones.
- Tap on Devices within the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Check the Listening On menu, and tap on AirPlay or Bluetooth.
- Select the name of your Roku TV
On the Apple Music App in your device, do the following:
- Tap the AirPlay button from the bottom-center of the screen (The one with three circular waves on top of a triangle)
- Select your device name
Using the mobile app for popular streaming services (HBO Max, Hulu, Amazon Prime Video)
- On your mobile app, start by playing a video you want to watch
- Choose the AirPlay icon from the top of the video screen (the icon is similar to a triangle with a square on top of it)
- In the pop-up screen, simply select your Roku device from the list of compatible options
How to use AirPlay or Screen Mirror from a Mac computer to Roku Device
- Make sure you have AirPlay turned on or enabled on your Mac
- If you don’t see the AirPlay icon (A square combined with a triangle coming out of it), open your System Preferences and click on Displays
- At the bottom of this page, check the box that says “Show mirroring options in the menu bar when available.”
- Once the AirPlay is turned on and your Roku TV is in range, you’ll be able to click on the AirPlay button from the menu bar at the top of your screen, allowing you to select your Roku from the list of devices
- An AirPlay passcode can sometimes appear on your Roku screen. If this is the case, use the same code when it pops up in your Mac
- Now, your entire Mac screen should mirror onto your Roku
How to screen mirror or cast an iPhone or iPad with a Roku
An iPhone can be mirrored to a Roku device through the Roku app. This is mainly accessible through your device’s Control Center
- Open the Control Center of your device. This is done by swiping down from the upper-right corner of your lock screen or home screen. Alternatively, older iOS devices can access the Control Center by swiping up from the bottom of your screen
- Tap Screen Mirroring within the Control Center
- In the pop-up, select your Roku device. Here, you may see an Airplay Passcode. Simply enter the numbers in the pop-up that appears on your device
- Now, your screen should mirror onto the Roku media player or TV
Was this guide helpful? Use the comments section below to tell us what you think about using Apple Airplay on Roku devices.