When it comes to music streaming, Spotify is always on the top of the list. It has been one of the most reliable brands in playing music online and continues to provide its users with satisfying features and functions.
However, there are times when you encounter issues that prevent you from opening and using your Spotify app. You may see the error message, “A firewall may be blocking Spotify. Please update your firewall to allow Spotify. Additionally you could try changing the currently used proxy settings. Error code: 30”
In some cases, the error code Auth:3 or 117 appears instead of the error code 30. The firewall or proxy server on your Windows 10 PC or Mac computer does not provide permission for the Spotify app or website to operate so you can get access to your songs, podcasts, and playlists. You can try to troubleshoot and resolve this issue by following some of the methods below.
How to Troubleshoot & Fix Spotify Error Code 30, 117 or Auth 3, A Firewall May be Blocking Spotify Issue on PC or Mac
Fortunately, there are ways for you to fix the problem and enable you to access your Spotify music streaming account on your desktop or laptop computer. Try to follow each of the solutions below one at a time.
Turn Off your VPN or Proxy Server
- On your device, navigate to the Network and Internet Settings.
- Look for a VPN and disable it temporarily.
- Try to open Spotify and see if it works.
- To turn off your Proxy server, go back to the Network and Internet Settings of your device.
- Look for your Proxy server and turn it off.
- Now, check if Spotify works.
If using a VPN service is important to your nature of work, you can always choose from the top providers. We have listed them below:
Allow Spotify on your Firewall
For Windows PC Users
- If you are using Windows 10 or 11 PC, click the Start button and search for Windows Firewall.
- Once inside the Windows Defender Firewall window, go to the left panel and click Allow an app or feature through Windows Defender Firewall.
- Go to the Allowed apps section and click Change Settings.
- Look for Spotify and check the boxes next to Private and Public.
- Click OK.
For Mac Computer Users
- For mac users, go to System Preferences.
- Navigate to Security or Security & Privacy.
- Go to Firewall.
- Click the lock icon on the Preferences.
- Enter your name and password.
- Choose Firewall Options.
- Click Add Application.
- Add Spotify and click OK.
Reinstall the Spotify App
If nothing works, you can try to uninstall and reinstall the Spotify app on your macOS or Windows 10/11 computer.
Do you have other solutions that can help resolve the Spotify firewall security error on PC or Mac? You can share them with us below.