YouTube’s ambient Mode is a new feature that allows users to keep playing videos even when they leave the YouTube app or website.
The feature is similar to how Netflix and other streaming services work. While this playback tool can be great for some, others may find it intrusive. Fortunately, there is a way to turn off or disable the new ambient mode setting in YouTube playback whether you’re on a Windows PC, Mac computer, Android phones, or iPhone/iOS mobile device.
In this blog post, we will show you how to do just that.
How to Turn Off Ambient Mode Feature when Watching Videos on the YouTube App
If you’re not a fan of YouTube’s new Ambient Mode playback feature when watching videos on the streaming app, it’s easy to turn off and get it disabled from your settings. Here’s how:
- Open the YouTube app and tap on the three lines in the top left corner to open the main menu.
- Scroll down and tap on Settings.
- Tap on General.
- Toggle the switch next to “Ambient Mode” to off.
And that’s it! Ambient Mode will now be disabled every time you play or stream a video in the YouTube app.
How to Disable Ambient Mode Setting when you Watch a Video using the YouTube Website
Here’s how to disable or turn off Ambient Mode feature when you play and watch your videos on the YouTube website through a Windows 10/11 PC, a Mac computer, or a Chromebook laptop:
- Open YouTube in your web browser and sign in.
- Click on your profile picture in the top right corner and select “Settings.”
- Under “General,” scroll down to the “Playback” section and uncheck the box next to “Enable Ambient Mode.”
- Save your changes.
Now, when you watch a video on YouTube, Ambient Mode will be disabled, and the background will remain sharp and clear for your viewing pleasure.
What are the Benefits of Using the YouTube Ambient Mode Settings?
There are several benefits to using Ambient Mode YouTube playback tool:
- It can help reduce distractions and improve focus while watching videos.
- It can make it easier to watch videos in low-light conditions.
- It can conserve battery life on your device by dimming the screen when not in use.
How to Re-Enable or Turn On Ambient Mode on your Device
Here’s how to re-enable and turn on the YouTube Ambient Mode again on your mobile device or desktop computer:
- Open the YouTube app and tap on the three lines in the top left corner.
- Tap on Settings.
- Scroll down to Background & Downloads and tap on it.
- Tap the toggle next to Ambient Mode to turn it back on.
Alternatives to Ambient Mode
There are a few alternative options available if you want to disable Ambient Mode in YouTube playback. One option is to simply turn off your phone or tablet’s screen while the YouTube app is playing in the background. This will cause the Ambient Mode settings to automatically revert back to their default state.
If you’re not interested in using any of the alternative methods, you can always just uninstall the YouTube app from your device altogether. This will, of course, prevent you from being able to watch any videos on YouTube, but it will also guarantee that the Ambient Mode feature is completely disabled.
We hope this article helped you figure out how to disable Ambient Mode when watching your favorite videos on YouTube app or website. As always, thanks for reading!