Watching movies, TV series, and Live sport TV on your Sky Q set-top box can sometimes be more enjoyable with closed captions and subtitles enabled. However, there are also instances when you just want to watch the show without any distraction of an added text at the bottom of your TV screen. Whichever the case may be, turning on and off closed captions and subtitles in Sky Q is easy and can even be done using your voice-control remote.
How to Turn On or Off Closed Caption on Sky Q TV Box
If you want to enable closed caption on a particular show, you must check if the show or the channel supports the feature. A simple indicator for this is the yellow-colored language button at the bottom of your screen when you press the “i” while on the channel. On a program, pressing the “i” button brings in the CC icon on your screen. If either of the buttons is not present, it simply means that that specific channel or program is not compatible with closed captioning.
As of this writing, these are the Sky Q channels that support the closed captioning feature.
To enable or disable closed captions on the Sky Q TV box, follow the following steps:
Turn On or Off Sky Q Closed Caption Permanently using the Setup Button
This process will automatically turn on or off closed captions on all the supported channels.
- On your Sky Q remote, hit the setup button.
- Then, select Audio & Subtitles among the list of options.
- Select Language.
- Choose English or Off through the left/right arrows on your remote.
- Now, save the new settings by pressing the green button.
Turn On or Off Sky Q Closed Caption Temporarily on a Specific Channel
If you only want to enable closed captioning on a particular channel, this process is for you. Sky Q will discard this setting if you try to watch another channel.
- On your Sky Q remote control, locate and press the ‘i’ button.
- Then, hit the yellow or the language button.
- Select Subtitles Language with the use of the left/right button arrows on the remote.
- After that, select English or Off using the up/down button arrows.
How to Switch On or Off Subtitles on Sky Q
Using your Sky Q Remote
There are three different ways to turn off subtitles if you are watching live TV on Sky Q using the different regular remote controls.
- On your Sky Q remote hit the “?” button and press select to turn subtitles On or Off.
- Using your Sky+ remote, press help and use the left or right button arrow to enable or disable subtitles. After that, hit select to save your setting.
- On a Sky Q accessibility or Sky Easy Grip remote hit the subtitles button and press select to turn subtitles on or off.
Using your Sky Q Remote with Voice Control
If you have the new Sky Q remote with Voice Control gizmo, you can simply press and hold the voice button and say “Turn subtitles on” using your voice into the microphone.
Subtitles will appear on any shows or channels that support them, right until you turn them off.
How to Use Subtitles in Ultra HD Content on Sky Q
- On your Sky Q remote control, press the Home button.
- Go to Sports and choose Ultra HD.
- Then, choose the live program you want to stream and switch on or off subtitles.
Please note that subtitles are not available and will not work if you access Ultra HD content using the red button on Sky Sports channels.
That’s it! We will publish another guide for turning on or off subtitles and closed captions on Netflix, Amazon Prime Video, or Disney Plus on Sky Q TV box as well as Sky GO mobile apps. If you find this guide helpful, don’t forget to follow us on Twitter and Facebook for more updates like this.